Saturday, October 19, 2013

Garage Side Door Added

Today I installed a prehung side door on the garage. Our kids are using the garage batting cage every day so I wanted a way for them to get in easliy and/or for me to get in.  When the batting cage is open the garage door can't be raised up without pushing it back.  The door has a window which will let in some light and also allow us to look in on them too.

To install the door I had to remove the plywood inside to expose the studs.  I only had to take off two pieces so it wasn't that bad.  Next I moved one of the pressure treated studs I installed a few summers ago to support the wall.  I bought a prehung metal door 30 x 80.  It was for a rough opening two and a half inches bigger on height and width.  With my new rough opening I had to cut the old wood sheathing from the inside out with a reciprocating saw.  I removed the siding from that side just to make the cutting easier.  The cutting of the opening was a little hard to do but I got it.  

I made what could have been a huge mistake when I meaured.  I measured and thought a standard size door would fix.  I measured from inside the garage.  Outside the garage, the eaves I built years ago extend lower than the walls inside the garage.  Inside I had the room, but outside I was short almost two inches.  The door with the brickmoulding would not fit vertically.  I removed the brickmoulding and cut the sole plate out.  This gave me the room I needed.  I cut the moulding the fit.

I purchsed a lock set with dead bolt and that was a snap to install.  Tomorrow I will repair the siding I took off and do some work in the L-screen I built last weekend (I got some real fencing--the boys are just pounding that metal every time they hit--real fence would be stronger).


No comments: