Saturday, October 5, 2013

Let There Be Light!!!

After years with no power out to the garage- we now have the power!

When the foundation to our addition was dug, the UF 12gauge electrical wire was severed.  That killed all the power to the backyard.  Then we built our back patio and installed a pool which cut the backyard off.  Last summer, Ryan and I dug a trench from the house, around the pool and to the garage.  We finished the siding of the garage.  I had just enough time left in the fall to run all the electric for the garage, then the snow came.  I never knew if the wire I installed underground would work.  

The wiring sat all summer.  I installed a light above the basketball hoop but it wasn't working yet.

Today was the day.

I started by drilling a hole into the side of the house for the underground wire from the garage. I encased it in electrical piping.  Then I spent some time wiring the fuse box out in the garage with two 15 amp breakers.  I also wired two switches on the garage wall, one for the inside lights and one for the outdoor lights.  The work inside the house was to install a new breaker for the garage.  This is always nerve wracking because of all the power going to that fuse box.  One slip with the wire and I would get lit up.  Thankfully, that didn't happen.  I installed a 30amp breaker to cover the garage.  

First time, hit the switches and they worked!  We are one step closer to setting up the batting cage in the garage--now that we can see!

No comments: