Monday, November 4, 2013

Fireplace Mantel Started

This weekend I began creating a fireplace mantel.  I've never done this before and I was a little worried about creating it.  My wife and I wanted the mantel to be made out of a hardwood like cherry.  Years ago I made an end table for the room out of cherry and liked the look of the wood.  When I started to calculate how much the mantel would cost out of cherry I got even more worried.  I toyed with the idea of making it out of pine first as I saw a woodworking show do that.  It would have allowed me to work through any kinks and cut down on mistakes.   I didn't go that route just for the sake of time.  

I started by drawing up a few designs for the mantel profile.  I knew I wanted a cove detail.  Once I found a design I liked, I knew I would have to mill the cherry myself.  No way was I going to pay some lumber company to mill the wood into moulding; that would cost a fortune.  

For the cherry I used on the end table I went to Pittsford Lumber.  They have a great facility, every wood species imaginable.  A few months ago a friend told me about another place he uses for work, Lakeshore Hardwoods in Victor.  I got their website up and found their price list for wood.  They were two dollars per board feet cheaper.

Lakeshore Hardwoods had a very good selection of wood.  It was clean and organized.  As it turned out, for shorter lengths the price per board foot was lower.  I purchased 5/4 x 10 x 60 for the actual mantel and 5/4 x 7 x 24 for the moulding.  Looking back I should have just purchased another longer board but it was my first time.  All the cherry was rough cut so I had to run it all through my planer.  I planned it down to 1 inch thick and it came out beautiful.  

Next I purchased a half inch cove bit for my router.  That bit ran me $30 but I made all of the moulding for this project.  $30 might have covered one board made out of the cherry.  Doing it myself I could cut the thickness of the moulding to what I needed.  

It took me a little over three hours to build but our mantel is almost finished. Next is the finishing.  Filling nail holes, sanding sealer, sanding, a light stain and then wax.  It should be nice for years to come.

The bookshelves are next!
  
Rough cut cherry I purchsed at Lakeshore Hardwoods

Close to finished.  No real super design with the moulding but I'm happy with it.

No comments: